Sunday, September 12, 2010

Community

It's been two weeks since I've been here but it feels like so much longer! Something I am a big fan of so far is the sense of community here. I live in a ministry house with 16 girls and there is a guy's home with about 11 or 12 guys one house down from ours. I've been amazed at the level of service I've seen so far. Things stop being all about you in a place like this; they have to because otherwise the community would fall apart. Suddenly life, as it used to be centered around you, becomes about protecting the environment you live in with others and caring about the well-being of the people you live with. Community quickly makes you considerate of other people's needs and well-being. People include you in something they're doing, wash the dishes, they give you something they have, they help to explain something they know. I see how living in an environment like this helps develop in a person the character you wish to see in all people. I like community.

No comments: